I'll never forget the day I heard those words. Busy toiling away at my desk at the law firm where I worked as a paralegal, I was just about ready to pick up the phone and dial home when Chris burst into my office. Smiling from ear to ear, he looked like a kid who was just dying to spill the juciest secret he'd ever held.
I cocked my head, my heart beating faster by the minute. "Hey," I said, pushing away from my desk and crossing the room to meet him. "I was just about to call you. I didn't know you were stopping by..." Truth was, I was beyond anxious to talk to him. He'd had a job interview that morning, and I couldn't quite shake the feeling that something Big was about to happen. And, in all honesty, after the luck we'd had the last few weeks, we so needed something Big. I took a deep breath, determined to ignore the butterflies banging around in my stomach. "So?" I asked, trying to sound casual but unable to hide the nervous tweak in my voice. "How'd it go?"
Eyes twinkling, cheeks still rosy from the crisp autumn air, Chris grinned wider and gave me my answer. "Wanna move to Seattle?"
Ah. Something Big indeed.
From that moment on, our life as we knew it in Minnesota was over. It was good-bye Twin Cities. Hello Emerald City.
0 comments:
Post a Comment