WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Hope...

Abandoned. Homeless. Left to fend for himself.

This is the plight of the cat that was left at our clinic this past week. An adorable orange tabby, this frisky little guy had not only a loving disposition, but the cutest face and perhaps the longest tail I’ve ever seen. Who wouldn’t want him?

Well, apparently someone.

As sad as this situation is, it’s (unfortunately) all too common. This is the second abandoned animal that I’ve had to surrender to a rescue in the last three months. Pathetic? Yes. All due to a lack of responsibility on the owner’s part? Absolutely. Luckily for this furry-faced feline, he had someone to speak on his behalf. He now has a new hope. Most homeless animals aren’t that fortunate.

So, with that being said, thank GOD for animal rescues / shelters! These wonderfully selfless organizations not only take in lost and forgotten animals, they do so with big, wide open arms! (Homeward Pet in Woodinville, Washington is a prime example of one of these facilities.) These places are phenomenal, and such a help not only to the animals they find forever homes for, but for rescuers (like myself) who sometimes feel like they’re at their wits end with humanity.

Maybe that’s why Chris and I dote on our girls so much. As former animal rescue volunteers, we’ve seen first hand the stress and hardship homeless animals go through. Heard their wordless whimpers, looked into their pleading eyes, and felt the beat of their hopeful hearts. Volunteering was always such a bittersweet experience for me. My least favorite thing to do and most favorite thing to do - all at the same time. I’d always leave the animal we were caring for with a heavy heart, wishing with every ounce of my soul that there was more that I could do. And today, after dropping off my most recent charge, I felt that same tug on my heart. Struggled with that same feeling of sadness and anger and determination.

There has to be more that I can do. Somehow, someway, I’ll figure something out. I will. I have to.

As for now, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the little orange tabby that no one wanted.



(My "nephew" - Bubba)
_______________________________________

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
-- George Elliot

0 comments: