WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Take It One Day At A Time :)

I'm not a fan of reality TV. I usually avoid it like I avoid going to the post office around the holidays.

No way. No how.

It's the drama, really. The unnecessary drama. The housewives that have nothing better to do than complain about their superficial lives and scheme against those around them. Or the attention seeking women who shamelessly clamor and scheme (there's that "s" word again) to woo a guy for the sole purpose of having their fifteen minutes in the limelight. (Sorry friends of mine who love The Bachelor. I forgive you.) I mean, I strive to keep unnecessary drama out of my own life. Why oh why would I want to invite in someone else's?

There is one show, however, that I do watch. One reality television program whose ups and downs I welcome with wide open arms.

The Biggest Loser.

Yes, there's drama. But there's also purpose, healing, determination and... hope. I watch The Biggest Loser because, at the end of the show, I don't feel the need to take a shower in order wipe away the contamination of other people's destructive energies. At the end of The Biggest Loser, I feel hopeful.

Last night began another new season and, as usual, Chris and I tuned in for the premiere. I admit, within minutes I was sobbing right along with the contestants. There's Dan (or Don, I can't remember which - they're twins) whose son passed away a few years ago, the shock of that sudden loss causing him to regain his previous weight loss of one hundred pounds. (Don, or the other twin, also has a heart-wrenching tale involving his own son.) Then there's Rulon, a 2000 gold medalist who now tips the scale at a whopping 474 pounds but still has the heart of a champion. Next is Sarah, who wants nothing more than to be a mom, but whose weight has cost her several pregnancies. And finally, Arthur, who, at 507 lbs., is literally fighting for his life and is the biggest contestant the show has had to date.

But amidst the doom and gloom of the scale is hope. Despite their size, these twenty-two courageous people show up on The Biggest Loser ranch with smiles on their faces and hope in their hearts. Their eagerness for a new beginning, a new life, is contagious. The excitement on the show is almost tangible and, last night, I found myself overflowing with love and hope for these brave souls.

One of the things I like most about the show is that every episode leaves you feeling super-charged, revved up and in the state of mind that anything is possible. After all, through each of the two hour episodes, you see these people - most of whom have never worked out a day in their lives - sprinting on treadmills, bend and twisting into various yoga positions, and lifting weights that push them to their limits.

But do you ever hear them complain? Well... Yes.

Last night, after a particularly trying workout, Arthur (the biggest contestant ever, remember?) hit a wall. The excuses were many: My leg hurts. I'm too fat. I have too much weight to lose. (Three hundred pounds, to be exact.) I can't do it. He was collapsing under the pressure of having to shed in body weight what he termed as "losing my dad." (His father, Jesse, weighs 293 lbs.)

Yeah, I'd say the challenge of having to lose what amounts to an entire person in body weight would be a bit daunting. I mean, how do you see the end of a journey like that? How is it even possible to celebrate a weight loss of 31 pounds (which is what Arthur actually lost during his first week on the ranch) when there's still so much more to go? It's like a drop in a bucket. A really, really big bucket.

Well, insert Brady moment here. (You know, how at the end of every episode of The Brady Bunch one or more of the kids learned an important, extremely moral lesson that would completely alter life as they knew it. "Gee, Mom/Dad. I never thought about it that way before! You're sure swell!")

Bob, a tough trainer with a heart of gold, took Arthur aside for a pep talk, during which he made a point that resonated with me on every level. He encouraged Arthur to "take it one day at a time." To, instead of focusing on the hefty number or getting sidetracked by peering down that long, hard, seemingly impossible road ahead, place his attention on his Now.

I think that is such good advice. After all, it's easy to become overwhelmed when faced with a challenge that seems insurmountable. When something in our life isn't as we would like it to be, we want it fixed... now. The thought of living with unwanted conditions for a few years, months, days, even hours, often times propels even the most positive souls into deep states of worry and despair. Thoughts like Why even bother?, I can't do it or, perhaps even worse, It's too late. It'll always be like this filter through our minds like a cracked record, needling over and over again until we believe them.

But a simple change in tactic, just looking at the same obstacle from a different perspective, can make an enormous difference. For example, instead of focusing on a certain number of pounds that need to be lost, a person can set his sights on just getting through today's workout. Or, rather than dwelling on a lay off and worrying that she'll never find work again (and therefore she'll be broke and lose her apartment/house/vehicle/family/sanity/respect/future - see how it escalates?), a person could put her attention instead on what she could do now to make the most of her time: update her resume, browse monster.com, make a few calls to friends and family and see if they know of anyone who might be hiring, take a breather and remember just how talented she really is...

When we worry about things that haven't happened yet, or become overwhelmed by the long road ahead, we unintentionally sabotage ourselves. By leaving our Present Moment, we place ourselves in a state of complete and utter vulnerability. Outside of our Now, we project our fears, worries and uncertainties into our future experiences.

But if we can just remember to be Present, and to take it one day at a time, we can easily get back on track and meet even our most challenging goals.

I love this world. I love how little bits of wisdom seep through the gaps and inspire me to live my life in increasingly better and better ways.

Okay, that was one rambling post, huh? Wow.

In honor of those people who have the faith and determination to pursue their dreams, despite how out of reach they may seem, I'm going to leave you with this: an amazing clip of an amazing man with an amazing voice pursuing his own (amazing!) dream. :)





____________________

"One day at a time--this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering."
-- Unknown

0 comments: