WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Judging A Book By Its Cover

How many times have you judged a book by its cover? Discounted something - or, worse yet, someone - based on appearance? How often have you looked down on a person because of his or her hairstyle, choice of wardrobe, or financial status? And how many times has money, body size, or age influenced your opinions?

Please note - I'm not pointing any fingers. I'm just as guilty as most people.

But one has to wonder... Every time we ignore someone based on outward appearances, what gift are we missing out on? What precious gem lies buried under that exterior layer that we aren't allowing ourselves to see? What type of talent is brewing beneath the surface, just waiting to erupt?

If we continue to judge based on looks, we may never know.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that all beings - big, small, fat, thin, dark, light, educated, uneducated, lawyers, doctors, janitors, painters, unibrow or no unibrow - are unique. Each and every soul has something to contribute to our world. Everyone and everything is worthy of respect. Of appreciation. And of admiration.

Every being deserves to be - unconditionally and irrevocably - loved.

When I first saw Susan Boyle, I judged. A bit. Probably not as much as some people - I didn't pull my lips back in a sneer, didn't click my tongue or shake my head, didn't belt out a sarcastic, "Yeah right!" But I did, just for a split second, think, Seriously??

Well, Susan Boyle - you taught me a lesson. You taught everyone watching you on Britain's Got Talent a lesson. And, I hope, you taught the entire world a lesson.

__________________________________

"It's never too late to live happily ever after."

0 comments: