And... they'd probably be right.
But I prefer to think of myself as, well, inquisitive. Maybe even plucky and spirited, adventurous and quirky. And above all else, I consider myself to be passionate. Passionate about life, love, and art.
To those peering in from a distance, it might seem like I don't finish a lot of the things that I start - and I admit that following every single project or idea through to the end is not my strong suit. However, I think it's fair to point out that I do take on and try out a lot of different things. Life, in various instances, has often pushed me down roads that I never would have considered on my own. Literally forced me to look in new directions.
And that's okay. I'm not scared to try something new and fail. My only fear is to not try at all. Period.
Yes, my resume (which contains employment in the automotive, banking, legal, and veterinary fields) may seem, at first glance, to point to someone who is flighty, indecisive, and hasty. But upon further inspection, I like to think that same resume describes someone who is loyal, hard-working, and passionate.
I may not be the Jack of all trades. But I am, at the very least, the Jane of quite a few.
I've been thinking about this flaw of mine quite a bit lately. With the decision to resurrect my previous desire to share my photography on Etsy, it's made me realize not only how far I've actually come with this craft, but how many detours I've taken along the way. When I first entertained the idea of pursing photography, the only thing I was interested in shooting was animals. Dogs, specifically. A year later, almost on a whim, I decided to give photographing people a try. Immediately I was hooked - people, with their vast array of emotions, personalities, and quirks provided for me unlimited inspiration. There can be, I thought firmly at the time, nothing else I'd rather shoot.
Well, that was roughly a year ago and, lo and behold, my thinking has evolved - yet again. I'm now completely, totally, and desperately passionate about shooting landscapes. In retrospect, this obsession was bound to hit sooner or later - what with living in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. (Yes, I'm a bit partial to the Pacific Northwest.) Chris and I have lived in this paradise for a little over four years now, and yet there are still times when we find ourselves struck speechless - absolutely and completely breathless - by our surroundings.
This life, this world, this universe, is so full, so ripe that it's absolutely overflowing with new joys, ideas, treats and pleasures. It's a literal Smörgåsbord of delights and surprises. It's juicy goodness is endless. And the paths to happiness - if you're daring enough to take that first step - are infinite.
Last night I listed my first photo on Etsy. (Click here to see!) I was so excited about creating this first listing that, after clicking the "submit" button, I actually let out a little squeak of excitement.
Hey, it's the little things, right?
** The first image is available now, the others will follow shortly... :)




___________________
"Growth is the only evidence of life."
-- John Henry Newman, Apologia pro vita sua, 1864
0 comments:
Post a Comment