WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Series of Yeses

Chris and I often appreciate the circumstances that brought us together. Every now and then we'll stop in our tracks and sigh with relief that the Universe didn't forget about us. And more than once we've pondered the wonderment of Fate.

It was by sheer chance that we met.

Granted, it was no coincidence that my manager at 1st Financial Bank called me up and invited me down to Johnny's on the River for a fellow co-worker's going away party that night. And no, it wasn't a coincidence that another 1st Financial Bank employee invited Chris to the same party. It wasn't even really a coincidence that we managed to sit at the same table and, after a shot or two of tequila, fall into a comfortable conversation about everything from the town of Spencer to my dog, Molly.

The sheer chance of the matter falls to all the little twists and turns that each of us had to take to get to that night. The overwhelming amount of chance encounters and situations that led us to the same bar in the same town on the same night at exactly the same time.

What if I had said, "Nope. Sorry, Kris. I can't come down tonight..." And what if Chris had told Trent that no, he already had other plans for the evening? To be even more bold, what if I had said no to taking the position at 1st Financial Bank in the first place? And what if Chris, wanting to stick close to his hometown of Spencer, had said no to Tyson Foods when they offered him a job in Sioux City one year prior to our meeting?

I could go on and on. And on.

What it all boils down to is a series of yeses. One yes after another, each leading us steadily toward each other. Step by step. Yes by yes.

Of course, this is how Fate works for everyone. We're no different. But we are thoughtful enough to sit back and marvel at the universal forces that brought us together. To understand the simple fact that one tiny "no" could have thrown us off track and out of each other's orbits altogether.

Although I didn't know it, I desired Chris. I desired a man like Chris. A wonderfully strong, intelligent, creative, open-minded, thoughtful, adventurous man like Chris. And, even though I think this makes him slightly insane, he desired someone like me.

I think each of us had a lot more to do with crossing paths than we thought.

Fate is a wonderful thing. An amazing sort of Grace. It gives you what you desire, so long as what you desire is felt with every fiber of your Being.

Chris and I are lucky. We're blessed. We appreciate Fate.

And we're thankful for the series of yeses in our lives.




_______________________________

"We create our fate every day we live."
-- Henry Miller

0 comments: