WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Me, in Fifteen Years...

When I was seventeen, our English Comp class received an assignment to write an essay about where we saw ourselves in fifteen years. It was my senior year in high school and I, like everyone else, was suddenly finding myself thrust into the future with every turn I took, every conversation I had, and every piece of collegiate mail I opened.

I remember finishing the assignment without putting a lot of thought into it. At the time, I was in a serious relationship (as serious as high school relationships can get) and couldn't fathom seeing myself as anything other than a wife, mother, and teacher married to my high school boyfriend, teaching in the same neighborhood, and living in the same city as were I was currently living. In fact, the only thing my mind seemed to teeter back and forth on was whether I should include in the essay my fascination with Minnesota. But, seeing as how my current boyfriend couldn't stand the state, I eventually caved and reluctantly admitted that I saw myself living in Iowa for (probably) the rest of my life.

Obviously nothing in that essay happened. Not one single thing that I wrote in that paper came to pass. I'm not married to my high school boyfriend. I'm not a teacher. And I haven't lived in my hometown of Sioux City (or the state of Iowa, for that matter) for at least six years.

And you know what? I couldn't be happier about it.

I couldn't be happier about where I am and what I'm doing at this particular point in my life. In fact, I pondered this very thought as I drove home from a photo shoot yesterday morning. As the Jeep sailed down I-5 and AC/DC blasted from the stereo, I glanced out of my driver's side window and caught a glimpse of the early morning mist as it rolled gently down the Cascades. My heart fluttered with not just excitement, but with anticipation as I took in the beauty that is Western Washington. And, by taking a deep breath and savoring the moment, my heart continued to flutter the rest of the way home.

Never in a million years would I have ever guessed that I would end up out here. (I guess I shouldn't say "end up" because, as this experience has taught me, life is a constantly evolving, expanding process.) And never in a million years - much less fifteen - would I have ever thought I'd be lucky enough to be living my life the way that I truly wanted to live it by following my passions, my bliss.

But here I am.

Now, close to fifteen years later, I shudder at the thought of that essay. At the life that I, back then, found so appealing. Today, at thirty-two, I'm nothing like my seventeen year-old self. But I am fortunate enough to be able to appreciate the desires that I had at the time... And be grateful for the life experience that has led me, step by step, toward a destiny that is, in every sense of the word, fulfilling.

As for the next fifteen years? I have no idea. The only thing I know for sure is that it will be, without a doubt, absolutely amazing... And more fantastic than I - from where I'm currently standing - could ever, ever imagine.

** More pics of Baby C...




________________
“When you follow your bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.”
-- Joseph Campbell

0 comments: