WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Everest

Appreciation is the key to a happy life.

Obviously.

It's easy to appreciate the good things in life, the things that are already going great: good health, a great income, a fantastic job, a comfortable home, a warm bed, a significant other who is so great he makes you feel like you're the luckiest person in the world... (Yes, Chris - I'm talking about you.)

But what about those things that aren't so perfect? That don't make your heart sing when you initially look at them? Those things that cause your stomach to clench and make your blood boil? Or that cause your heart to ride up into your throat and trigger tears of sadness? How do you find a way to appreciate those things?

It can be done. Trust me. I know from experience.

When I tell people that I work at a veterinary clinic, this is what I usually hear:

"Wow! What a great job!"
"You get to play with puppies and kittens all day... Lucky!"
"What I wouldn't give to have your job..."
"Aren't you lucky? I get to deal with attorneys all day while you get to play with animals... It's not fair."
"You have it made. I'd trade jobs with you in a heartbeat."


Hmph.

Well, I'm here to set the record straight. We do play with dogs and cats when they come in - sometimes. A veterinary hospital can be hectic place, and there are days when all we have time to do is give the animals a quick pat on the head when they arrive and a hasty treat before they leave. Because - surprise, surprise - there are more pressing matters to be dealt with: x-ray a hundred and ten pound mastiff that might be obstructed from eating bones two days ago, perform a dental cleaning on a yorkie that has a mouth fouler than a whole ship full of sailors, clean up the puke in the kennel room from the dog that ate the chocolate candy bars his owner had neglected to put away, help carry in the old Golden Retriever who is so sick he can't walk into the hospital on his own, draw blood from a feral cat that has never, ever been held by human hands. And then there are phones - phones that never seem to stop ringing - to answer.

And all this in a ten and a half hour day. Minus breaks.

Still wanna trade?

There are so many things that are going well in my life. In fact, up until very recently, I was able to appreciate absolutely every single aspect of my life - except my job. For the above-mentioned reasons and more, I found it extremely difficult to overcome the negative aspects of it and discover the positives.

But I was determined. Determined to overcome this roadblock - this mountain - that was throwing a shadow over my, otherwise, blessed life.

It was, so to speak, my own Everest.

Well, thanks to many hours of meditation, Abraham's recent book, and a phenomenal group of individuals that I have the privilege of interacting with every other week, I am now able to say - with one hundred percent of my being - that I appreciate my job.

In fact, there are so many things to appreciate about my place of employment that I find it difficult to ever recall a reason why I didn't appreciate it. I get to interact with dogs and cats on a regular basis. I get to witness the miracle of healing practically every day. I get to make a difference in not only the lives of animals, but their owners as well. The location of the clinic is amazing. (There's a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier from our backyard.) The hours that I work are great, and I love the fact that I still have free time to pursue the passions that I hold close to my heart. And, another bonus - I meet the nicest, nicest people.

These things that I appreciate about my job are just the tip of the iceberg. Even now, as I'm thinking about all of these positive aspects, about a hundred more are flooding through my mind. It's completely unreal. And amazing. And wonderful. And... I'm so, so, so grateful for my job.

My life is good. My life is blessed. And I'm truly, truly happy.

** Check this out... An eye-opening clip that was posted by a friend on Facebook. Funny and true....

"Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy"



BTW - I really, really appreciate Conan. :)
___________________

"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."
-- Frederick Keonig

0 comments: