WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Couple That Hikes Together


It's no joke.

The couple that hikes together, stays together.

Yesterday Chris and I embarked on a wonderful adventure - a hike to Snow Lake.

I honestly, truly, and hands down do not think a more beautiful Alpine Lake can be found - crystal clear blue-green water reflecting the surrounding peaks in its glass-like surface, a soft eggshell-blue sky lightly streaked with wispy, barely there clouds. It was... breathtaking. And the almost four mile trek up the mountain to get there? Equally amazing. Views of the neighboring mountains' snowy peaks broke through the thick forest after about a mile and tickled our vision the rest of the way up.

This hike made me fall (if possible) even more in love with my husband. Because without him, I think - er, actually, I know - that I wouldn't be here today.

Okay. So right about now Chris would cut in and say, "Lisa, stop being sooooo overly dramatic." (Hmmm... Sounds like he says this a lot, huh?) But, in all fairness, I'm not being overly dramatic. Not this time, anyway.

I have an overwhelming fear of heights. And this trail, with its steep switchbacks and narrow rock strewn paths, is almost more than a person with a height phobia can take. There were moments when I was mere inches from the side of a cliff, so close to the edge that I could actually feel the drop off. The vast emptiness just one wrong step away was practically tangible. There were several moments on that trail yesterday where I froze. Completely.

And then Chris offered me his hand.

With gentle and sweet words of encouragement, my husband graciously saw me down that mountain. He got me to laugh (many times!) in the face of my fear, and before I knew it I'd scrambled not only three and a half miles down, but well past my paralyzing phobia as well.

Chris and I have been through a lot together. Adversity can either make or break a couple. Luckily, in our case, it only makes us stronger.

Here are a few shots from our amazing day yesterday. We're so blessed to live surrounded by beauty such as this. :)







































_____________________

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
-- John Muir


0 comments: