WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fifty Dollars

If you had asked me about a month ago, I would have said it was a lot.

Fifty dollars.

As an unemployed college student who lives in one of the most expensive areas of the country, fifty dollars is hard to part with. In fact, it’s damn near priceless.

In America, fifty bucks doesn’t buy much. A full tank of gas, a meager bag or two of groceries, a pair of no-name jeans, a haircut, a night out at the movies…

At the Faustina Akua Dufie Preparatory School in Sayerano, Ghana, however, fifty bucks buys a lot.

Education. Hope. And a future.

The tuition for one student to attend the school for one full year is fifty dollars. That’s it. Unfortunately, it’s a price that most children in the area can’t easily afford. If they can afford it at all.

Education is something that I’m extremely passionate about. It’s something that I think all people – regardless of what country they live in – should have the right to pursue. For a child to not even have the option to attend school is absolutely heartbreaking.

If, a mere month ago, someone had asked me for fifty dollars, I would have – in the politest way possible – refused. On the grounds that I needed it way more than they did.

However, after talking to my brother and learning about the school and its story (he’s friends with the school’s director), my opinion has changed. Suddenly fifty bucks doesn’t seem like much at all.

I just sent off a check. And because of that, a little girl named Abena Sandra will get to go to school tomorrow. Beautiful, isn't it, how such a small amount can make such a big difference? :)

** There are, at the moment, approximately twenty or so hardship cases at Faustina Akua Dufie Preparatory School. If you’d like to help, please contact me and I'd be happy to pass some info your way. The donations go directly to the school for the kids - there's no middleman or company or spokesperson to pay. Also, I'm currently putting together a book list for the school (as they have none) and am looking for used/new book donations as well. I do have to specify that the shipping costs to Ghana from the US are pricey, so any donations toward postal fees are much appreciated as well!





___________________

"An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves."
-- Lydia M. Child

0 comments: