Reeling with laughter.
It doesn't matter where I am. Usually these unexpected memories will happen at the most inconvenient moment. During work, when I'm about to answer the phone. During work, when I'm checking out a particularly grumpy client. While I'm standing by myself in the checkout line at the store. Or, even worse, when I'm about to give my order at a restaurant. Out of the blue, I'll start laughing.
And once I start laughing, I can't stop.
I have to admit it - I've had a great life. These past thirty-two years have been filled with so much hilarity that I honestly have no room to ever, ever complain. Right now, just off the top of my head, I can think of at least six to seven memories that will leave me laughing for hours. (And hours and hours and hours...)
It starts slow, like a soft tickle at the edge of my subconscious. My chest suddenly feels warm and fuzzy, and it's almost like my lips have a mind of their own as a stupid, goofy grin spreads across my face. And then, no matter how hard I try to be serious and appropriate, it hits - that insanely funny, funny memory - and suddenly I'm laughing like a crazy person. A complete and utter crazy person who is totally and inappropriately out of control. With laughter.
The amazing thing is, when I fall into one of these unstoppable, unavoidable fits of laughter, most people around me fall in as well. There will be a second - well, usually a few - where they'll stare at me like I'm from another planet. Their brows wrinkle, their lips pull down in a disapproving frown, and they usually roll their eyes as they - I'm almost certain - think thought after disapproving thought regarding my socially unrefined behavior. But, as I said earlier, once I enter these fits, I can't stop. And before long, through eyes half blinded by tears of laughter, I see those cynical souls suddenly lose themselves. Their frowns turn into smiles, and within seconds they're clutching their stomachs and wiping tears from their own eyes - even though they have absolutely no idea what it is I'm laughing at.
Like I said - it's contagious.
Earlier today, I ran across this clip and couldn't stop laughing. Not because the model tripped (as funny as that is), but because the newscasters couldn't stop laughing. Their uncontrollable laughter ignited a spark in me - and I laughed and laughed and laughed. In fact, wait - yep - I'm still laughing.
Now I'm off to watch How I Met Your Mother. And laugh, and laugh, and laugh...
______________________
"The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter."
-- Mark Twain
0 comments:
Post a Comment