Jeff and Ellen will be arriving out here (from D.C.) next Friday - AND they'll be staying an entire week!!! So, in honor of their pending visit, here's a repost from Lisa Sorbe Photography. They were kind enough to be my first ever couple shoot (way back in February), and we had a blast.
And, special note to J and E... We'll be doing it all again - out here. (Just a little something for ya to look forward to. Suck it up, Jeff.) ;)
I always joke that everything I learned about marriage and family, I learned from The Cosby Show. Mr. and Mrs. Huxtable were, to me, the perfect couple. They were passionate, yet still maintained their independence. They laughed, yet were serious about their family and relationships. They were wonderful parents - interested in their children, yet didn’t allow their kids to completely take over their lives. No matter what was going on in their world, they always made time for each other. And, honestly, I think that’s what I found so appealing about their marriage. In a nutshell, they made each other their first priority.
Now, while Cliff and Clair and their picture-perfect relationship did influence me and mold my beliefs, I do have the good Huxtable-common-sense to know that this is a fictional couple. And, in all honesty, if it wasn’t for a real life couple that I know who are just like them, I probably wouldn’t have fallen for this televison pair so completely.
Jeff and Ellen. My wonderful brother and absolutely amazing sister-in-law. They are my Cliff and Clair.
When I was younger, all I knew was that I wanted a relationship like my brother and his wife. I wanted to still be holding my husband’s hand years after I was married. I wanted to have a sense of humor and laugh with my significant other even during the worst of times. And, last but not least, I still wanted to light up when I saw that other person enter the room - long after we said our “I do’s.”
All I learned about marriage, I learned from The Cosby Show. And, as it turns out, from Jeff and Ellen.





______________________
Clair: "Let me tell you something, Elvin."
Cliff: "Oh, lord..."
Clair: "You see, I am not "Serving" Dr. Huxtable. OK?"
Elvin: "Okay."
Clair: "That sort of thing goes on in a restaurant! I'm bringing him a cup of coffee because he brought me a cup of coffee this morning, and that is what marriage is all about. Give and take, fifty-fifty. And, if you don't get it together and DROP these macho attitudes, you are never gonna have anyone bringing you anything, any place, anytime EVER! (Sweetly) Now then, what would you like in your coffee?"
Elvin: (shaken) "Maybe I could get you some coffee..."
-- The Cosby Show
0 comments:
Post a Comment