WELCOME!

SHARE THE LOVE :)

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Still Cookin'

And the madness continues... Apparently my days in the kitchen aren't numbered after all.

While relaxing at the salon last week, I ran across this tasty little treat in Glamour. The magazine boasted the energizing perks of the meal, and I was immediately intrigued. Since my work days usually teeter around ten or so hours, I'm constantly looking for ways to up my energy levels and stay amped. Coffee, of course, works great in the mornings, but in the afternoons, after about four cups, I start tweakin'. Bad. And so, since my job requires my hands to be somewhat steady, I've been forced to find an alternative way to keep my eyes open and stay on my toes.

Thanks to Glamour, alertness now comes in the form of this scrumptious midday meal. The key? Whole wheat pasta. It's not only filling - so you don't stuff yourself too full - but it's a great source of much needed nutrients, such as fiber and protein.

You'll need:

- 1 Cup of Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 1 to 2 Cups of Broccoli - fresh or frozen, your choice
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Almonds **
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

The rest is easy. Boil pasta according to instructions on box. Prepare the broccoli - warm or raw, whichever you prefer. (I used frozen broccoli - because it's all we had on hand - and heated it up in the microwave.) Mix pasta, broccoli, feta cheese, almonds, and EVOO in bowl. Eat.

Simple, huh? And it's sooooo good. I honestly can't remember what it's called, but really - what's in a name? (I think Shakespeare would back me up on this one.) Besides, when dealing with recipes, it's the taste that matters anyway, right?

Enjoy!

** The recipe in the magazine called for cannellini beans, but I couldn't find any at the store so I substituted almonds instead. Equally healthy and, in my opinion, a satisfying alternative. Plus, another great source of energy-boosting protein. Yum.






______________________

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
-- Mark Twain

0 comments: